FEATURED:

 

Late Bloomer William Kentridge

Contributed by Melissa Kojima

I first discovered William Kentridge about a year ago on a visit to the San Francisco Museum of Art. There was a huge exhibition of his work and many rooms were taken over with a continuous loop of some of his films and animations. I was fascinated and immediately fell in love with his raw and gritty work. Most of it is in charcoal and many of it is self-portraits.

I learned that he became an international hit when he was in his 50's. He is one of those very inspiring late blooming artists who I talked about last week in my post called, "It's Never Too Late to Become a Master Artist".

He lives and works in South Africa. His wife is a doctor and supported his art, so he could take the journey to becoming a master artist. He tried many things such as theater and performance before he decided that the best thing that worked for him was doing self-portraits in charcoal. His animations are amazing---sort of funny, sweet and sad.

If you're going to be in New York within the next month, you'll have the opportunity to see a great retrospective of his work at the Museum of Modern Art. I wish I could check it out, but there is a great site where you can explore his work and the timeline in which it was made it. Click here to check it out.







0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails