FEATURED:

 

The Biography of Ron Rae - Illustrator and Graphic Designer In The Creative Heyday of Advertising and World Renowned Stained Glass Artist

This week we’re changing things up a bit. We’re going to do something you don’t normally see here on Illustration Pages. I’m very excited to report that all this week we’ll be featuring the biography and art of one of the most prolific and accomplished illustrators and graphic designers, Ron Rae.

Ron was a major player during the height of the Detroit advertising scene in the1960s and 70s. And everyday this week we’ll be featuring a different segment of his biography written exclusively for Illustration Pages by the artist himself.

Ron Rae’s career as an artist has spanned more than five decades – almost four of which were spent working at top Detroit agencies side by side with other agency greats, such as Ed Fella. Throughout this week's feature Ron explains what it was like to work in the advertising field during its heyday, sometimes competing for the same clients as Milton Glaser and Seymour Chwast of Pushpin Studios. Ron goes into full detail of how studios operated before the dawning of the age of computers. He also talks about how he made the transition to working on the Mac and walks us through one of his logo projects. You won’t want to miss any of Ron’s expert knowledge of advertising, illustration, graphic design and even stained glass art.

I’d like to thank Ron for putting this all together for Illustration Pages. Ron’s feature is a culmination of many hours of collaboration between he and I - the result is the recording of a bit of advertising history. I’m proud that it’s been documented right here on Illustration Pages.

Article by LOU SIMEONE

6 comments:

  1. I BOUGHT SOME STAINED GLASS PATTERNS AT AN AUCTION AND CAME ACROSS A LETTER DATED OCT. 23 1976 TO THE PRESIDENT OF KOKOMO OPALESCENT GLASS CO. SIGNED BY BARRY BERNSTEIN AND RON RAE. THEY WERE APPARENTLY WITH A CO. NAMED "VIRTU"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VERTU was a two person company - Barry Bernstein and Ron Rae. They were together until around 1950. They did some nice commissions together. When Barry Bernstein moved to California, they broke up the company.

      Delete
  2. I was researching Ron because I found a poster advertisement he illustrated for 3M (HAIROSCOPES). Would happily upload a photo, if I knew how.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm searching for this poster! I'd love to see it

      Delete
  3. Racing Stripes used to be my sisters favorites film when she was your time too. Although I would have been thirteen or fourteen then, and I was a bit 'too aged to really enjoy it (too aged for something at that period seems funny now), I supposition it was cute from what I retain information of it!
    Biography

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad to see this bio of Ron Rae having just come across a signed Ron Rae '70 print (8/12) in my deceased husband's belongings (he was also in the commercial art business)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails